COVID-19 FREE SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHER SCHEME UPDATE JANUARY 2021:
Click this link for government user guide:
Click this link for government Frequently Asked Questions guide:
You may be entitled to receive assistance to pay for school meals for your child.
Please see details below:
How to claim free school meals
If you are the parent, foster parent, network family carer or guardian of children at school, and you are on a low income, you could be entitled to free school meals.
Children may be eligible for free school meals if their parents or carers receive any of the following benefits:
- income support
- income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- income based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190
- the guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit with an annual income of less than £7,400
If you get Working Tax Credit your child will not qualify for free school meals.
To claim free school meals
If you live in Leeds and you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support contact Leeds City Council on 0113 222 4404 if you want to claim a free school meal for your child and they will notify us if you are entitled. If you live in Leeds and you do not already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you will need to apply online at
If you are currently receiving National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS), you do not need to fill in a claim form for free school meals.
Please take your Home Office letter to your child’s school, and they will contact Welfare and Benefits on your behalf. The letter should confirm your:
- date of birth
- nine digit NASS Reference Number
(Source: Leeds City Council, Valid September 2020)