You may be entitled to receive assistance to pay for school meals for your child.

Please see details below:

How to claim free school meals
If you are the parent, foster parent, network family carer or guardian of children at school, and you are on a low income, you could be entitled to free school meals.

Young people, who are still at school but receive income support in their own right, can also receive free school meals.Your children are entitled to free school meals if you receive:

  • Income Support, or
  • income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, or
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
  • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit, if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
  • support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, or
  • Child Tax Credit, if you have an annual taxable income (as assessed by H M Revenue and Customs) which does not exceed £16,190
  • if your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll continue to receive them until they move to a new stage of school, such as from primary into secondary school

If you’re on any of the above benefits, it’s still important to register for a free school meal to ensure your child’s school doesn’t miss out on funding call pupil premium.Please note, if you are entitled to Working Tax Credit you do not qualify for free school meals unless:

  • your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, or
  • you are receiving Working Tax Credit Run-on. This is paid for 4 weeks after your employment ends or your hours reduce to under 16 hours per week.

Children attending nurseries, attached to a Local Education Authority maintained school, can have free school meals for any full days they attend. If your child attends an Early Years Centre, you should contact Children’s Services.

To claim free school meals
If you live in Leeds and you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support contact Leeds City Council on 0113 222 4404 if you want to claim a free school meal for your child and they will notify us if you are entitled..If you live in Leeds and you do not already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you will need to apply online at

Asylum seekers
If you are currently receiving NASS Support, you do not need to fill in a form. Just take a Home Office letter that confirms your name, date of birth and 9 Digit NASS Reference Number into school and they will contact Welfare & Benefits on your behalf to check the details. The school will be notified of your entitlement.

(Source: Leeds City Council, Valid September 2018)